Miniaturized, Methylcellulose Colony-Forming Cell (CFC) or Unit (CFU)
Complete Assay Kit for Hematopoietic Stem and Progenitor Cells
- Hematopoietic research and cellular therapy applications requiring a methylcellulose, clonal assay.
- Leukemic cell growth.
- Evaluate differentiation status or potential of different lympho-hematopoietic cell populations.
- Correlate in vivo with in vitro differentiation.
- Differentiation effects of growth factors or cytokines.
- Evaluate ex vivo differential expansion.
- Evaluate the effects of drugs, xenobiotics or other agents on the differentiation/maturation process.
- Miniaturized assay format requires 1/10 of the volume of reagents, target cells and other sample requirements compared to traditional 35mm Petri dish CFC assays.
- Greater number of replicates (4) improves statistics.
- Smaller growth surface for more accurate and faster colony counting.
- No meniscus; allows evaluation of colonies to the well edge.
- Colonies counted after 9-10 days, compared to 14 days for MethoCult™ reagents.
- CAMEO™-4 assay kits contain sufficient reagents and culture plates for 50 samples.
- Complete flexibility; evaluate new growth factors and/or cytokines.
- Available for 17 different cell populations and 8 different species.
- Quality controlled media and superior performance compared to MethoCult™.
- Non-human primate (Macaca fascicularis (Cynomologus) and Macaca mulatta (Rhesus))
|Cell Type||Cell Population Detected (1)||MethoCult™ Equivalent||Growth Factor Cocktail||Number of Samples(2)|
|Stem cell||HPP-SP 1||NE||3,6,SCF,Flt3-L||50|
|Stem cell||HPP-SP 2||NE||EPO,GM,2,3,6,7,SCF,TPO, Flt3-L||50|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEMM 1||NE||EPO,GM,3,6,SCF,TPO, Flt3-L||50|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEMM 2||NE||EPO,GM,3,6,SCF,TPO||50|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEMM 3||H4435 "Enriched"
|Stem cell||CFC-GEM 1||NE||EPO,GM3,6,SCF||50|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEM 2||H4034 "Optimum"||EPO,GM,G,3,SCF||50|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEM 3||H4434 "Classic"||EPO,GM,3,SCF||50|
|Progenitor||BFU-E 2||H4430||EPO (high dose)||50|
|Precursor||CFU-E||NE||EPO (low dose)||50|
|Progenitor||GM-CFC 1||H4534 "Classic"||GM,3,SCF||50|
|Progenitor||GM-CFC 2||H4035 "Optimum"||GM,G,3,SCF||50|
|Progenitor||GM-CFC 3||NE||GM alone||50|
|Progenitor||Mk-CFC 2||NE||TPO alone||50|
NE = No equivalent product available.
(1) = Accepted nomenclature of cell populations detected by the colony-forming cell assay.
(2) = Number of samples that can be performed from 38mL by setting up a total volume of 0.6mL, including 10% cell volume), sufficient for quadruplicate 0.1mL cultures in 4-well, 35mm Petri dishes.
(3) = Contains TPO to stimulate megakaryopoiesis. The equivalent MethoCult™ product does not contain TPO and therefore cannot be designated as a CFC-GEMM stem cell population, but rather a CFC-GEM population.
ColonyGro™ and CAMEO™-4 Incorporate the Same Growth Factor CocktailsWhile ColonyGro™ uses 35mm Petri dishes, CAMEO™-4 is miniaturized using 4-wells in a 35mm Petri dish that only requires 0.1mL/well of reagent rather then 1mL of reagent. Therefore, the growth surface area for CAMEO™-4 is much smaller. As a result, the increased cell interaction allows the cells to grow faster, producing colonies in a shorter period of time. This graph shows a direct correlation between ColonyGro™ and CAMEO™-4.
Inverted microscope with a magnification of 40x - 100x.
- CAMEO™-4 reagent. Choose specific cell population and species.
- 50 x 4-well, 35mm cell culture plates.
CAMEO™-4 is exactly the same as ColonyGro™ with the same advantages. However, CAMEO-4 has the added advantage of being a miniaturized version of ColonyGro™ requiring less sample.
How many samples can be performed with a CAMEO™-4? assay kit?
50. This compared to 44 for ColonyGro™ and significantly less (about 30 samples) for all other commercially available methylcellulose reagents. In addition, CAMEO-4 assay kits include 50 culture dishes for 50 samples. No additional culture dishes are needed.
Are the culture dishes different?
Yes. CAMEO™-4 culture dishes are similar to 35mm Petri dishes used for ColonyGro™, but incorporate 4 small wells with very low walls. The low well walls allows the investigator to count colonies to the edge of the culture. In other words, no meniscus occurs when the methylcellulose culture is added to the wells.
What is the volume of each CAMEO™-4 culture?
Each of the 4 wells well contains 0.1mL of methylcellulose culture. The total volume of CAMEO-4 culture prepared is 0.6mL containing 0.06mL of cell suspension, i.e. 10% of the total culture volume.
What cell populations and species can be used with CAMEO™-4?
CAMEO™-4 is available for all of the same cell populations as ColonyGro™. CAMEO™-4 is also available for the same species.
How are colonies counted using CAMEO™-4 and are the colonies the same as ColonyGro™?
Colonies are counted in exactly the same way as ColonyGro™ using an inverted microscope. The colonies produced are similar to those for ColonyGro™ or other methylcellulose reagents.
Can CAMEO™-4 be use in the cell therapy processing laboratory?
Yes. CAMEO™-4 assay kits are available with exactly the same growth factor cocktail formulations as used for MethoCult™ reagents in the cell processing laboratory. There is, however, one exception. It is claimed that MethoCult™ reagent H4435 "Enriched" will stimulate CFC-GEMM. This is incorrect, because H4435 does not contain thrombopoietin (TPO) to stimulate the production of megakaryocytes. The Preferred Cell Systems™ formulation includes TPO and therefore true CFC-GEMM colonies will be produced.
When ordering CAMEO™-4, please copy the Catalog Number, click on Catalog Number Search and paste the number, followed by Search. You will be taken directly to the desired product.