Absorbance Progenitor Cell Assays for
Instructional Videos on How to Use HemoLIGHT™ PCA
To learn how to setup and use HemoLIGHT™ PCA, click on the video links below:
How to Perform a Progenitor Cell Assay (PCA) - An Alternative to All Methylcellulose CFU Assays
- Determine the number of viable cells in proliferation.
- An alternative to, or replacement for the classic colony-forming unit (CFU) assay.
- FDA, FACT and AABB alternative assays.
- Replaces the CFU assay with an instrument-based, quantitative assay.
- No colony counting required.
- Uses an absorbance ELISA plate reader available in most laboratories.
- Incorporates the same growth factor cocktails used in MethoCult® reagents for direct assay-to-assay comparisons and correlation.
- Non-subjective, instrument-based and quantitative assay system.
- Results in 7 days depending.
- Faster and easier to use than any traditional CFU assay, even using automated colony counting.
- Simple, time efficient, flexible and more cost effective than methylcellulose CFU assays.
- Complete assay kit; includes everything needed to culture and obtain results.
- Incorporates proven Suspension Expansion Culture™ (SEC™) Technology.
|HemoLIGHT™ PCA Number||HemoLIGHT™ PCA
|Equivalent CFU Cell Population||Equivalent MethoCult™
|Growth Factor Cocktail|
|PCA1||SC-GEM 2||CFC-GEM 2||H4434 "Classic"||EPO, GM-CSF, IL-3, SCF|
|PCA2||SC-GEM 3||CFC-GEM 3||H4034 "Optimum"||EPO, GM-CSF, G-CSF, IL-3, SCF|
|PCA3||P-GM 1||GM-CFC 1||H4534 "Classic"||GM-CSF, IL-3, SCF|
|PCA4||P-GM 2||GM-CFC 2||H4035 "Optimum"||GM-CSF, G-CSF, IL-3, SCF|
|PCA5||SC-GEMM 3||CFC-GEMM 3||H4435 "Enriched"||EPO, GM-CSF, G-CSF, IL-3, IL-6, SCF TPO(#)|
|PCA6||SC-GEMM||CFC-GEMM||Methocult "Express"||Recombinant cytokines EPO|
(#) denotes that the Preferred Cell Systems™ formulation of this product includes TPO that stimulates the production of megakaryopoiesis. MethoCult™ and other competitor formulations of this specific product do not include TPO, do not stimulate the production of megakaryocytes and therefore do not detect the CFC-GEMM stem cell population.
*denotes that assay kits are available with 1, 2 or 4, 96-well plates
- Incorporates a terazolium WST-1 reagent that is reduced to a soluble yellow formazan, which can be measured at an maximum absorbance of 440nm (420nm to 480nm) in an absorbance plate reader.
- After culture, add 10μl of the WST-1 reagent, mix and read absorbance at 440nm after 1-4 hours in a 96-well plate reader. Plates can be returned to incubator and re-read at a later time for increased sensitivity.
- No solubilization step as in a MTT reaction. Replaces MTT assays.
- Mobilized peripheral blood
- Umbilical cord blood
- Bone marrow
- Purified cell populations for any of the above tissues
- Standardization of the CFU-GM assay using hematopoietic growth factors. J. Hematotherapy:6:191-192 (1997)
- Development of a novel assay to evaluate the functional potential of umbilical cord blood progenitors. Transfusion. 48:620-628 (2008).
- Potency, Proliferation and Engraftment Potential of Stem Cell Therapeutics: The Relationship between Potency and Clinical Outcome for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Products. J Cell Sci Therapy. (2013).
- Detecting primitive hematopoietic stem cells in total nucleated and mononuclear cell fractions from umbilical cord blood segments and units. J Translational Medicine 13:94 (2015)
- Improving quality and potency testing for umbilical cord blood: A New Perspective. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 4:967-973 (2015)
- Hematopoietic stem cell potency for cellular therapeutic transplantation. In: Hematopoietic Stem Cells, Ed. Rosana P. Camacho. Published by: InTech Open Access Publisher. ISBN 978-953-307-746-8. (2011).
- Measuring the Potency of a Stem Cell Therapeutic. In: Stem Cell Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology, 1235, Ed. Rich IN. Published by Human Press (2015).
- Bioluminescence Potency Measurement of Cellular Therapy Products. In: Cellular Therapy: Principles, Methods, and Regulations, 2nd Edition, Eds. Areman EM and Loper K. Published by AABB.
- Present Cord Blood Testing Fails to Determine if the Stem Cells Used for Transplantation are of High Quality and PotencyThe Parents Guide to Cord Blood Foundation
- The Difference Between Stem Cell Viability and Potency: A Short Guide for Parent and Patients. The Parents Guide to Cord Blood Foundation
- HemoLIGHT™ PCA Master Mix
- WST-1 reagent
- Sterile, clear, 96-well plate(s)
- Sterile, adhesive cover foils to maintain sterility of unused wells
The HemoLIGHT™ PCA Technical Manual is being updated
When ordering HemoLIGHT™ PCA, simply click on Catalog Number in the table below and you will be taken directly to the desired product.
|Cell Population||Catalog No.||Format||MethoCult™ Equivalent|
|P-GM 1||K4-PCA3-1||Low serum||H4534 "Classic"|
|P-GM 1||K4SF-PCA3-1||Serum-Free||H4534 "Classic"|
|P-GM 2||K4-PCA4-1||Low serum||H4035 "Optimal"|
|P-GM 2||K4SF-PCA4-1||Serum-Free||H4035 "Optimal"|
|SC-GEM 2||K4-PCA1-1||Low serum||H4434 "Classic"|
|SC-GEM 2||K4SF-PCA1-1||Serum-Free||H4434 "Classic"|
|SC-GEM 3||K4-PCA2-1||Low serum||H4034 "Optimal"|
|SC-GEM 3||K4SF-PCA2-1||Serum-Free||H4034 "Optimal"|
|SC-GEMM||K4-PCA6-1||Low serum||Methocult "Express"|
|SC-GEMM 3||K4-PCA5-1||Low serum||H4435 "Enriched"|
|SC-GEMM 3||K4SF-PCA5-1||Serum-Free||H4435 "Enriched"|