Methylcellulose, Colony-Forming Cell (CFC) or Unit (CFU)
Reagents for Hematopoietic Stem and Progenitor Cells
- All applications involving lympho-hematopoietic cells with a manual or image analysis readout.
- Clonal growth of leukemic cells.
- Detect clonal ability of cells.
- Evaluate the differentiation status or potential of different lympho-hematopoietic cell populations.
- Correlate in vivo with in vitro differentiation.
- Differentiation effects of growth factors or cytokines.
- Evaluate ex vivo differential expansion.
- Evaluate the effects of drugs, xenobiotics or other agents on the differentiation/maturation process.
- Superior performance compared to competitor reagents.
- Colonies can be counted after 9-10 days.
- Setup 44 samples/100mL with ColonyGro™, instead of only 33 with reagents from other suppliers.
- Available to detect 8 different stem cell populations, and 10 progenitor and precursor cell populations.
- Unlike competitor formulations, ColonyGro™ CFC-GEMM media contains TPO, allowing the production of erythroid, granulocyte, macrophage and megakaryocytes to be produced as defined for the CFC-GEMM populations.
- Same or lower price than MethoCult™ and other competitor reagents.
- Non-human primate (Macaca fascicularis (Cynomologus) and Macaca mulatta (Rhesus)
The following cell populations are available for ColonyGro™. Those populations that have multiple growth factors will produce different colony types in the same culture. Please note that the number of colonies counted in culture containing multiple growth factors will be different to those with single growth factors, which only detect cells in a specific cell compartment.
|Cell Type||Cell Population Detected (1)||MethoCult™ Equivalent||Growth Factor Cocktail||Number of Samples(2)|
|Stem cell||HPP-SP 1, primitive stem cells||NE||3,6,SCF,Flt3-L||44|
|Stem cell||HPP-SP 2, and all lineages||NE||EPO,GM,2,3,6,7,SCF,TPO, Flt3-L||44|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEMM 1, and all hematopoietic lineages||NE||EPO,GM,3,6,SCF,TPO, Flt3-L||44|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEMM 2, and all hematopoietic lineages||NE||EPO,GM,3,6,SCF,TPO||44|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEMM 3, and all hematopoietic lineages||H4435 "Enriched"
|Stem cell||CFC-GEM 1, and E and GM lineages only(4)||NE||EPO,GM3,6,SCF||44|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEM 2, and E and GM lineages only||H4034 "Optimum"||EPO,GM,G,3,SCF||44|
|Stem cell||CFC-GEM 3, and E and GM lineages only||H4434 "Classic"||EPO,GM,3,SCF||44|
|Progenitor||BFU-E 1, primitive E cells||NE||EPO,3,SCF||44|
|Progenitor||BFU-E 2, E cells only||H4430||EPO (high dose)||44|
|Precursor||CFU-E, mature E cells||NE||EPO (low dose)||44|
|Progenitor||GM-CFC 1, primitive GM cells||H4534 "Classic"||GM,3,SCF||44|
|Progenitor||GM-CFC 2, primitive GM and neutrophils||H4035 "Optimum"||GM,G,3,SCF||44|
|Progenitor||GM-CFC 3, GM cells only||NE||GM alone||44|
|Precursor||G-CFC, neutrophils only||NE||G alone||44|
|Precursor||M-CFC, macrophages only||NE||M alone||44|
|Progenitor||Mk-CFC 1, primitive megakryocytes||NE||TPO,3,SCF||44|
|Progenitor||Mk-CFC 2, megakaryocytes only||NE||TPO alone||44|
|Progenitor||B-CFC, B-lymphocytes||NE||7 alone||44|
NE = No equivalent product available.
(1) = Accepted nomenclature of cell populations detected by the colony-forming cell assay.
(2) = Number of samples that can be performed from 100mL by setting up a total volume of 2.5mL, including 10% cell volume), sufficient for duplicate 1mL cultures in 35mm Petri dishes.
(3) = Contains TPO to stimulate megakaryopoiesis. The equivalent MethoCult™ product does not contain TPO, and therefore cannot be designated as a CFC-GEMM stem cell population, but rather a CFC-GEM population.
(4) = E for erythropoietic; GM for granulocyte-macrophage.
The graph to the left shows a cell dose response comparison between ColonyGro™ for the primitive hematopoietic stem cell population, CFC-GEMM 1, and the nearest MethoCult™ equivalent population detected with H4435 media. The difference between the growth factors is given in the table above, but whereas the CFC-GEMM 1 growth factor cocktail contains Flt3-Ligand and thrombopoietin (TPO), to induce the production of megakaryocytes, MethoCult™ H4435, contains neither of these components. Consequently, MethoCult™ H4435 cannot produce megakaryocytes, and therefore does not stimulate the production of primitive stem cells and cannot be designated as a CFC-GEMM population; MethoCult™ H4435 actually stimulates a more mature stem cell population.
- 100mL of ColonyGro™ Reagent
- Sufficient for 44 duplicate samples
- 2.5ml total volume prepared/sample
- 0.25ml sample cell suspension volume required
- 1ml plated in 2 x 35mm Petri dishes
For Research Use Only. Not for clinical diagnostic use.
Inverted microscope with a magnification of 40x - 100x.
Certificate of Analysis (CoA) for each reagent type will be provided with shipment
Download methylcellulose SDS Sheet
When ordering ColonyGro™, simply click the Catalog Number in the table below and you will be taken directly to the desired product.